FIRST REGIMENT POTOMAC HOME BRIGADE CAVALRY.
COMPANIES A, C and D of this regiment were organized at Fred-
erick City, Frederick County, and Company B at Cumberland, Md.,
from August 10, 1861, to November 27, 1861.
The original Company A was named "Cole's Cavalry," after
its commanding officer, Captain Henry A. Cole, who was subse-
quently promoted Major, Lieutenant-Colonel and Colonel, re-
The other original companies, viz., B, C and D, assumed the name of "Cole's Cavalry,"
and were so designated, officially, by the commanders of the armies with which they
served, as well as their comrades in arms in other branches of the military service with
whom they came in contact.
The four original companies, A, B, C and D, were consolidated into a battalion, and
Captain Henry A. Cole was promoted Major and assigned to the command thereof.
The original companies, A, B, C and D, re-enlisted for the war in February, 1864,
and authority was then given by the War Department to augment the battalion of four
companies to a full regiment of twelve companies.
The remaining companies, viz., E, F, G, H, I, K, L and M, were recruited from all
parts of Maryland, and organized at Frederick and Baltimore, Md., from February 9th
to April 23, 1864, to serve three years.
On the expiration of the term of service of Companies A, B, G and D, the original
members (except veterans) were mustered out.
Company D having been reduced below the minimum number in January, 1865, an
independent company of cavalry that had been raised at Cumberland, Maryland, in the
summer of 1864 by Captain Tappan W. Kelly was assigned to the regiment, and the
remnants of Company D consolidated with them, this company being thereafter known
as Company D.
The regiment, composed of veterans and recruits, was retained in service until
June 28, 1865, when it was mustered out of the military service of the United States, in
accordance with the orders of the War Department, by reason of the close of the Civil
The personnel of the Old Battalion included loyal Virginians and Pennsylvanians
from the border land; nevertheless, they were almost exclusively from Western Maryland.
They were farmers' and planters' sons, mainly, in good circumstances, who owned good
horses, which they brought with them into the military service.
They were, in the main, young, unmarried men, intelligent, enthusiastic, accustomed
to the use of firearms, of fine physique—in fact, the very best material for cavalrymen.